Free lunches at the library for kids & teens this summer!
This summer, we’re excited to offer a daily (Monday – Friday) free lunch at the library for children and teens! We know that summer break can be challenging for families in our community, and we want to help increase access to healthy lunches for children and teens in Waukegan.
How it works
The library is providing a free boxed lunch for children (up to age 18, or individuals with special needs up to 21) from June 6 – August 5. Parents and/or children can pick up a free boxed lunch inside the Ray Bradbury Room located in the lower level. The program is open to all children and teens, regardless of the school they attend, so parochial students and homeschoolers are welcome. The menu will change every day, and lunches will be available on a first-come, first-served basis, Mondays-Fridays from 12:00 – 1:00 pm.
- Social distancing guidelines will be followed
- All servers will wear masks and gloves during serving times
- Face masks are required for those picking up meals
- Milk and other perishable food items need to be refrigerated
- Lunches may include protein and/or vegetables that should be heated to 165 degrees prior to eating
- Heating instructions will be given out with lunches for warming up meals at home