This summer, we’re excited to offer a daily (Monday – Friday) free lunch at the library for children and teens! We know that summer break can be challenging for families in our community, and we want to help increase access to healthy lunches for children and teens in Waukegan.
The library is providing a free boxed lunch for children (up to age 18, or individuals with special needs up to 21) from July 8 – August 14. Parents and/or children can pick up a free boxed lunch at the parking lot located on Martin Luther King Dr. behind the Main Library. The program is open to all children and teens, regardless of the school they attend, so parochial students and homeschoolers are welcome. The menu will change every day, and lunches will be available on a first-come, first-served basis, Mondays-Fridays from 12:00 – 1:00 pm.
About the program
In response to the current public health situation, Food Service Professionals (FSP) is offering convenient and nutritious meals through a Grab ‘n Go Parent Pickup Service from now through August 14. All meals are free to participating children.
- Social distancing guidelines will be followed
- All servers will wear masks and gloves during serving times
- Face masks are strongly encouraged for those picking up meals
- Milk and other perishable food items need to be refrigerated
- Lunches may include protein and/or vegetables that should be heated to 165 degrees prior to eating
- Heating instructions will be given out with lunches for warming up meals at home