WPL offers many resources to help you in your job search, including services you can access at the library and from home.
Need your GED or other education?
WPL’s resources can help you prepare yourself with the skills you’ll need to get (and keep!) the job you want:
- GED preparation
- Career test preparation (ASVAB, NCLEX, CDL and more)
Tutoring at WPL: call (847) 775-2549
- Develop your math, reading, and writing skills with a tutor
- Families Learning Together builds parents’ reading, writing, math or English speaking skills while their child, under 6 years old, learns in a fun preschool environment.
Job Corps Career Training: call (800) 733-5627
- Career technical training and education program
- For young people ages 16-24 who qualify as low-income
Need help with your resume and job applications?
Resumes show employers why you’re a great match for the job. These resources can help you develop an excellent resume.
Classes at WPL: call (847) 623 ext. 251
- Job Readiness Class: job searching, resume writing, online applications, interview techniques
- Computer Classes: internet, email, file management, and Microsoft Word skills
Job Center of Lake County: call (847) 377-3427
1 N. Genesee St., Waukegan, IL 60085
- Job search workshops
- Drop-in resume and online application help: Mondays, 10:00am; Wednesdays, 1:30pm
Books about resumes and cover letters can be found with call number 650.14
In high school and need a job?
It can be difficult to find a first job! Start with these local resources.
Lake County Job Center Youth Services: (847) 377-3427
Youth Conservation Corps
10-month Youth Build program and Summer Program that focus on skill development, job readiness, and environmental education