Details on Changes in WPL/CLC Partnership
The Waukegan Public Library and the College of Lake County are signing a Memorandum of Understanding governing our tutoring partnership. The same types of tutoring will continue to be supported, but some procedures will be changing to be more formalized. All matching will now take place through Waukegan Public Library staff who will make sure that all tutors are well supported in their work with the College of Lake County’s adult learners. Contact Josh Anderson at 847-775-2549 or janderson [at] waukeganpl [dot] info with any questions about this transition.
- Tutoring in a CLC Class: CLC teachers will fill out a request form and Waukegan Public Library staff will match tutors in classes. It will be important that any informal arrangements between teachers and tutors are approved before tutoring begins each semester. Please wait for permission before you begin tutoring in a classroom setting. Tutors returning to work with the same teacher should be approved without delay.
- Tutoring CLC Learners Outside of Class Time: If a learner from a CLC class asks about additional tutoring outside of class time, please contact staff at the Waukegan Public Library. It is important that any such arrangements be approved by Waukegan Public Library staff prior to the start of tutoring.
Why Does Tutoring Matter?
We are still waiting for a state budget. This makes for uncertain times. One thing that is certain is the impact of tutoring. Especially at times like this, it is important that our adult learners’ stories are heard. If you are currently working with a learner or group of learners, please take some time at your next session to have your learner answer one of the following questions. If you will be tutoring in a classroom this fall, please discuss with your supervising teacher if you might collect some learners’ stories. You may choose to make this a writing activity or simply to have your learners dictate to you what they would like to say so that their voices can be shared. Send learners’ responses to janderson [at] waukeganpl [dot] info or Josh Anderson, 128 N. County St., Waukegan, IL 60085.
- How has tutoring made a difference in your life?
- What things can you do now that you couldn’t do when you started with tutoring?
- What does tutoring mean to you?
- What is the most important thing you have learned in tutoring?
- How would you keep learning if you couldn’t come to tutoring?
Of course, your experiences as tutors matter too! Please feel free to share about what being a tutor means to you in whatever form you feel is most appropriate.